Category Records: Community Occasions
123 writers online
Samuel Greg leased area at Quarrell Hole in Pownall Payment from God Stamford, whom imposed an ailment that ‘ non-e of the surrounding trees should be pruned, felled or loppedretaining the woodland character from the area. Our factory was integrated 1784 by Greg to spin cotton. When ever Greg retired in 1832 it was the greatest such organization in the United Kingdom. The water-powered Georgian mill even now produces silk cotton calico. The Gregs were careful and pragmatic, paternalistic millowners, and the mill was expanded and changed throughout its background. When Greg’s son, Robert Hyde Greg, took over the company, he presented weaving. Samuel Greg perished in 1834.
The Work was attacked during the Plug Plot riots on 10 August 1842.
The mill’s flat iron water wheel, the fourth to be installed, was designed by Jones Hewes and built between 1816 and 1820. Over head shafts over a machines were attached to the water wheel by a belt. When the wheel turned, the action moved the belt and powered the machinery. A beam engine and a horizontal heavy steam engine had been subsequently set up to supplement the power. The Hewes tyre broke in 1904 however the River Bollin continued to power the mill through two water turbines. The mill owners bought a Boulton and Watts steam engine in 1810 and a few years later acquired another as the river’s level was reduced in summer and could interrupt creation of cloth during some years. Steam motors could generate power month in month out. Today the mill houses the most effective working waterwheel in The european countries, an iron wheel transferred from Glasshouses Mill in Pateley Link designed by Friend William Fairbairn who had been Hewes’ apprentice.
The estate surrounding the generator was developed and Greg converted farm buildings in Styal to house workers. As the mill increased in size, real estate was made for the workers. A chapel and a school had been built by the Gregs who moved into Pull Bank House next for the mill.
The estate and mill had been donated to the National Rely upon 1939 by simply Alexander Carlton Greg and are also open to people. The work continued in production right up until 1959. In 2006 the Nationwide Trust attained Quarry Bank House as well as its gardens and, in 2010, the gardener’s property and the higher gardens. In 2013 the work received 140, 000 visitors. In 2013, the trust introduced an charm to raise 4 mil to restore a worker’s new, a shop plus the Greg’s glasshouses and digitise records associated with Gregs and the mill staff.
Heavy steam power
Water flow from the Bollin was unreliable so an auxiliary steam engine was procured in 1810. It was a 10 hp beam engine from Boulton and Watt. In 1836 with the arrival of power looms a second 20 hp Boulton and Watt beam engine was acquired. The first horizontal condensing engine was acquired in 1871. A new engine house was built. In 1906 the 1871 engine was replaced by a second-hand 60 hp engine. The engines no longer exist and the museum has purchased a similar steam engine to display.
Quarry Bank is an example of an early, rural, cotton-spinning mill that was initially dependent on water power. The first mill was built by Samuel Greg and John Massey in 1784. Its design was functional and unadorned, growing out of the pragmatism of the men who felt no need to make a bold architectural statement. It was a four-storey mill measuring 8.5 metres (28 ft) by 27.5 metres (90 ft), with an attached staircase, counting house and warehouse. It was designed to use water frames which had just come out of patent, and the increased supply of cotton caused by the cessation of the American War of Independence. The water wheel was at the north end of the mill.
The mill was extended in 1796 when it was doubled in length and a fifth floor added. A second wheel was built at the southern end. The mill was extended between 1817 and 1820 and a mansard-roofed wing extended part of the 1796 building forward beneath which the wheel was installed. The new building kept the 1784 detailing with respect to line and windows. The 1784 mill ran 2425 spindles, after 1805 with the new wheel it ran 3452 spindles.
Weaving sheds added in 1836 and 1838 were of two storeys and housed 305 looms. Before the 1830s, spinning mills produced cotton, that was put-out to hand-loom weavers who worked in their own homes or small loom shops, like the one Greg owned at Eyam. Hand-loom weaving continued in parallel to power loom weaving throughout the 19th century. Around 1830 the power loom became sufficiently viable for independent weaving sheds to be set up, and for larger owners to add weaving sheds to their spinning mills. A weaving shed needed the correct light and hum > The initially two-storey shed at Pull Bank was 33 metres (108 ft) by 6. 5 metre distances (21 ft). The 1838 building was 30 metre distances (98 ft) by twelve metres (33 ft) to which a storey was added in 1842 for warping and beaming. In the Gregs pragmatic way, looms were purchased slowly but surely.
Quarry Bank Mill used child apprentices, a system that continued till 1847. The final child to be indentured started out work in 1841. The first children apprentices lived in accommodations in the area then in 1790 Greg built the Apprentice House near the factory. Greg believed this individual could get the best out of his staff by treating them reasonably. He chosen a superintendent to attend for their care and morals and members from the Greg as well as external instructors gave them lessons. Greg applied Peter Netherlands, father of the Royal Medical professional Sir Holly Holland, very first Baronet and uncle of Elizabeth Gaskell, as work doctor. Holland was accountable for the health of the children and other personnel, and was the initial doctor to use in such a capability. The apprentices were children from workhouses. Initially, we were holding brought by Hackney and Chelsea but by 1834 they came mostly by neighbouring parishes or Gatwick poorhouses. They worked well long times with paper and growing plants after their particular shift on the mill. The job was at times dangerous, with fingers at times being cut by the machines. Children were happy to work in the mill mainly because life in a workhouse was even more difficult.
The initially wheel was obviously a wooden overshot wheel currently taking water by means of a long leat from upstream on the River Bollin. The second wheel created by Peter Ewart in 1801 was wooden. To boost power this individual dammed the Bollin and took water into the work directly, the tailrace leaving the water below the atteinte. The third tire of 1807 was a alternative to one of the wooden wheels. It is believed it was a suspension steering wheel, 8 metres (26 ft) in size made from flat iron to the type of Thomas Hewes.
Your fourth wheel, theSuperb Wheelwas also designed by Hewes. The challenge was to increase the head of water acting on the wheel while using the same volume of water. It was achieved by sinking the wheel pit to below the level of the river and taking the tail race through a tunnel a kilometre downstream to rejoin the Bollin at Giant’s Castle. This gave a head of 32 feet (9.8 m) acting on the 32 feet (9.8 m) diameter suspension wheel- which is 21 feet (6.4 m) w
In 1905 two water turbines built simply by Gilbert Gilkes and Organization were installed to replace theSuperb Wheel. They used the same brain and end race and operated right up until 1959. When the generator was renewed in 1983, a twenty-five feet (7. 6 m) diameter waterwheel of related design to that particular of Hewes by his pupil Sir William Fairbairn, was transferred from Glasshouses Mill in Pateley Link and mounted to provide power to work the machinery.